Navigation | Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA 4) Playstation 3 (Temp) Freeze Fix

Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA 4) Playstation 3 (Temp) Freeze Fix

I posted a while ago a fix for some EA Sports Demos not having any sound on the PS3. Now I present to you the way that I fixed the freezing issue for my copy of GTA IV on the PS3. :-)

When I first started playing the game on Wednesday, I noticed the game froze but shortly unfroze twice (the length of time was about 30-60 seconds). Everything was well after that up until last night (Friday) when I decided to see what the Multiplayer feature on the cell phone had to offer. Soon after the tutorial began it froze, but this time it was really frozen. I waited about 5-10 minutes before giving up and manually restarting the PS3. I looked online and saw a 12-Step Guide on Gamespot by Take-Two on how to possibly fix the problem.

I noticed two things with the guide… Numero Uno, 12-STEPS??? Numero Dos, DELETE SAVED GAME FILES??? Not to mention all the features that needed to be turned off or lowered such as graphics and the rumble on controllers (not that I have one, but still).

So I did some more research and noticed people that had tried the Multiplayer feature were just then having the problems. So I decided to look for a file in the PS3, below are the steps to remove the Multiplayer Profile for GTA IV and (in my case) unfreeze your game WITHOUT deleting any game or save data or anything else!

1. Start Your PS3.
 2. Navigate along the cross media bar until you reach the ‘Game’ tab.
 3. Scroll up or down the list until you reach the ‘Save Data Utility’ and press ‘X’ to enter.
 4. Locate the GTA IV file with the name ‘Profile’ on it.
 5. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the menu select Delete.

That’s it! In my case, deleting the profile for GTA IV (which relates to the Multiplayer aspect) fixed the freezing and so far after playing a couple of hours I have not had a single issue. This might work for the xbox 360 as well, but since I don’t own one (nor do I know if game files are accessible) I can’t confirm.

Feel free to comment if this worked or didn’t work for you!

UPDATE: I am using the 60GB version of the Playstation 3 purchased in August of 2007.

NOTE: REMEMBER! This is just a temporary fix/hack, Rockstar/Take-Two need to patch this up so that I can try the multiplayer!

Filed by Tony at May 3rd, 2008 under Games, Tips

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

What version PS3 do you have

Comment by PSN: Beta55 — May 3, 2008 @ 9:39 am

thanks this worked I hope

Comment by Hanif — May 3, 2008 @ 9:46 am

@BETA55 – Sorry about not being more specific, I have the 60GB PS3.

@HANIF – Glad to hear. Like I mentioned in the post, it’s worked for me for for about 7 hours (non-stop, I’ve left the game running and playing off and on).

Comment by tony — May 3, 2008 @ 10:29 am

my game recreates the profile file when i restart the game, so it just locks up again. even if i have internet disabled. did not work for me sorry. 60gb dec 2006, AO2 & AO4.

Comment by mike — May 3, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

@MIKE – Sorry to hear it didn’t work. You might want to make sure you don’t have multiple save game files (for example, I had two save files both named “Blood” or something like that). I deleted the newest save game file and left the old save game file alone. Good luck.

Comment by tony — May 3, 2008 @ 3:27 pm

do u mean ur auto save and ur manual save? do u play with auto save on? do u ever manual save?

Comment by mike — May 3, 2008 @ 4:10 pm

@Mike – I only play with auto-save on. I deleted the newest save game file and left the older intact.

Comment by tony — May 3, 2008 @ 4:16 pm

I bought this game for my son on lauch day and worked great until last night when it froze up. We went and exchanged it for a new copy and it doesn’t work either! I’ll tell my son to try ihabn0legs fix and hope it works. It’s absolutely ridiculous that a $65.00 game is flawed upon release. Taketwo’s fixes are a joke. Basically they are saying disable all of the awesome features of your PS3 and enjoy. It’s like replacing the engine of a souped up corvette with a 4 cyl.

Comment by Tamara — May 4, 2008 @ 9:54 am

@Tamara – I understand how you feel, I think almost everyone feels that way. I’m a bit upset too but the truth of the matter is that these things happen. Making a complicated game like this is very difficult and sometimes bugs aren’t caught. At least you can feel a bit relieved to know that TakeTwo is actively trying to fix the bug and should be releasing a patch soon.

I know a patch for a BRAND NEW GAME isn’t what you want. This bug should have been caught in their Q&A, but at least it will be solved soon.

Oh, and I’m not sure how young your son is, but there’s some mature content there you might want to watch out for.

Oh, and I like your corvette analogy. ;-)

Comment by tony — May 4, 2008 @ 10:19 am

i need some online friends so i can play gta4 online….could anyone b my friend n play wit me??…

Comment by Brock Partlow — May 8, 2008 @ 7:53 pm

@BROCK – Sure. Friend me up, PSN ID is slythic

Trouble is finding some free time to play :-\

Comment by tony — May 9, 2008 @ 5:30 am